Thursday 18 September 2008

Detoxing

No not detoxing my life silly. But purging all the crap from my desk at work, my cupboards, those random bags you lug around with you that are full of nothing but 5 year old receipts, lighters from restaurants in Greece that you never even went to, old ball point pens, birthday cards, bits of ribbon, drunkenly scrawled email addresses and business cards of people you can't remember and electrical cords for appliances you have long since binned. Or is that just me?

Anyway I removed 10kg of it from my life. I kid you not. I've travelled the world with backpacks lighter than that.

On Monday I go to London for some brand training for my new job. Ouuuu. On one of the evenings it is agency's 23rd birthday party. And it is a 60's theme. I dunno how I feel about that. I expected the theme from a creative agency to be somewhat more... well creative. I mean shouldn't it really be an 80's party? Anyway with nothing but the bits and bobs I had lying around in my cupboard I have created a wonderful ensemble. Well the bits and bobs and the 40 quid dress and the 100 quid pair of boots.

But the boots will last for years. Really. Because they have grips. AND heels. Do you know how hard it is to find that combination? For some reason all the makers of 'winter boots' seem to forget the fact that they are producing shoes for WINTER and that it might SNOW or that the streets might be a tad SLIPPY. I have actually been on the look out for high heeled boots with grips for 4 years now. I kid thee not. In Prague, with its hills, and 8 month winter and silly stupid cobble stones, it is even harder than anywhere in the world to procure anything but the smoothest soled spikiest heeled shoes. Meaning that, to avoid certain death, your only choice is manly lumberjack boots. I swear when I rule the world I really am going to get that place concreted. Or arrest the Bata family for crimes against women.

Work drags on. I have tomorrow, then three days in London, then I get back and have 2 days to work and then it's Byram, the feasting season after Ramadan where everyone who has pretended they haven't been eating, eats even more!

And that's the end of my rather unillustrious career at Vodafone. When I left Vodafone Czech I was sad. Because I was there for 5 years, because I was part of Oskar mobile which was a pretty goddamn cool place to work. I feel absolutely no emotional attachment to the Turkey branch at all. Rather than roaming the corridors reminiscing, I am prowling the staircase like a caged animal looking for an escape route. I don't even want a goodbye dinner or any of that faux bollocks. A refund on all the money I was instructed to spend on managers presents might be nice though. Especially since most of them couldn't even be bothered to say hello. Yes they actually forced you to 'donate' based on your managerial level. Usually about 30 quid, which I thought was a damn cheek since I didn't receive a thing on mine. I could have bought more boots!!!

I just bought the bf his birthday present for Saturday. I am still yet to receive one from him (there seems to be a bit of a theme developing here). However as I was purchasing it the dishy guy in the store amused me by trying everything on so I could see what it looked like, which is a first. I suspected he was gay, but he kept trying to ask me out - not actually an indication of not being gay in my experience. But he was REALLY insistent. And even gave me a discount and scolded me for not asking for one, as you are supposed to in Turkey. But worryingly he made a point at looking at the name on my credit card. I was cyber stalked for a while by a guy from the grand bazzar for similar reasons. Which was idiotic really considering his photo is on facebook, I knew where he works and he knows I had a Turkish boyfriend.

Still it's nice to be chatted up. Lord knows it never happens in Prague.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

darling when you rule the world your drivers and pilots will take care of the hills + cobbles