Thursday 4 September 2008

The man with the golden drum

It is ramadan right now. This doesn't really mean much except that the Turks, although they still continue to eat in my office, are slightly more pious than usual. It also bloody means that every morning at 4am a man with a big golden drum stands outside the bedroom window of my cockroach infested flat and bangs a great big drum for half an hour, to remind the Turks, who are already gorging themselves during the day, that they ought to get up and eat before sunrise, because its ramadan. And thats important. Even though when I ask the guys in the office they all look slying to one side, avoid eye contact and say that they 'have a relationship with god in their own way'. Also I swear the man in the wine shop tutted at me this evening when I bought a bottle of wine, which, btw, was so shit I had to pour it down the sink. Coincidence? I'm not so sure.

Cockroach infested flat? Yes I am back in it again. And it is still infested. Well only in the downstairs ensuite. I could be staying at my boyfriends, but after a major argument on the eve of my birthday which resulted in me spending the entire next day sobbing into a bottle of wine, pride prevents me from moving back.

I am, however, going to Prague tomorrow for a job interview with an ad agency. And I am praying that I get it, because after this last 3 months of hell I feel the urge to run away. And it is a pretty smart job.

However if that doesn't happen I will bite the bullet and either try and make a go of it here or return to London.

I won't, however, work for bloody vodafone turkey. Honestly I cannot stand the corporate political bollocks here, teamed with the unenthusiasm to make any sort of change.

The guys are okay. Most of them have at least studied outside the country. I went to my bosses leaving party today. I was speaking to one male colleague who asked me if I didn't find all this travelling around unsettling. I had to admit that I have started to feel an urge to set down roots somewhere. 'Perhaps its because this company is in such turmoil?' he asked. 'you can't feel settled when this whole company and your job is shaky'. I am inclined to agree.

Ah well. lets see what this week brings. Looking forward to prague, although with some trepidation. Am I really ready to go back, and will it be on different terms this time?

2 comments:

AdH said...

I just want you to know that i read all these, and eagerly look forward to the next one.

No real point here, except I know it's nice to hear.

The Great Unwashed said...

thanks! Its hard to tell if people read em but its good to vent sometimes :-)